07 January, 2015

Passion from function and fact

When I was a small child and into my teens, I remember curling up with captivating books that told stories of far-off places, with descriptive, enticing, moving language that got my heart and my head thrumming, because understanding came to me through emotion. At the same time, my beautiful sister would be curled up with a fat volume of the Encyclopedia, and her heart would be just as enraptured as mine. My husband is this way too! I have been told tales of how he'd be found taking toys apart, piece by piece, and not out of destructiveness, like a mother might assume, but because they were his favorite toys and he needed to understand them…
For some of my dearest friends, passion comes not from simply feeling something deeply, but from understanding how it works, or from "knowing the facts” and the history.  That kind of passion gets renewed by playing, by learning and doing, tinkering or studying. For that reason, today I wanted to post this interactive timeline about Bible translation!  The sheer breadth of this task---how long it’s been going on, and how much is left to be done---blow me away. But it is also comforting to see how far it has come already, and how we now live in a society that cannot remember a time when we were the culture that had no access to the Word in our tongue. 

One day it will be that way for them all. Amen.  





"You say it is heresy to speak of the Holy Scriptures in English. You call me a heretic because I have translated the Bible into the common tongue of the people. Do you know whom you blaspheme? Did not the Holy Ghost give the Word of God at first in the mother-tongue of the nations to whom it was addressed?” 

-(John Wycliffe, quoted by David Fountain in John Wycliffe: The Dawn of the Reformation, pp. 45-47)

No comments:

Post a Comment