10 January, 2015

Bringing God's Voice to the Small - God Speaks Kwatay

In thinking this week about the marginalized people groups of the world, I was reminded of another story, from a missionary couple in Senegal:

"We went to Senegal in 1990. We were expecting that we would be assigned to a large language group, one with hundreds of thousands or perhaps even a million speakers. But when we arrived, we found that the larger languages had either all been taken, or no work on them was currently planned. The top three priorities that SIL gave to us to visit and pray about all had only about 10,000 speakers. During that trip, God seemed to be clearly leading us to work with the Kwatay, a group of only about 5,000 people. I remember walking through the village the night we were there, and I stopped to watch a full moon rise over the point of a grass-roofed hut. A voice seemed to come to me, "Is it really worth giving your whole life to bringing God's Word to just 5,000 people?" I was struggling with that in my flesh - and it wasn't so obvious at the time, as it is now, where that voice was coming from. But then I seemed to hear another voice. It said, "How many churches are there in Weed?" Weed was my home town in California, a small mountain community of about 3,500 people. I started to count and came up with 8. The "voice" then continued, "Eight pastors who are giving
their lives to bring the Lord to that community, isn't it right for the Kwatay to have one?" We never looked back. God went on to impress on us from the Scriptures that he had never chosen the strong or proud or numerous, but he was always concerned with the widow and the orphan and the outcast - those who were small in the world's eyes. The Kwatay New Testament was dedicated in 2000. I think God is especially pleased to hear such a small group of voices gathered around the throne singing, "Úsali Atambatun!" ("We praise you God!")."

No comments:

Post a Comment